Friday, April 22, 2011

My Father (or Mother, or Parents, or Grandparents, or Two Moms, or Two Dads, or Legal Guardians, or Myself, or the State of NJ) Sent Me to Old Rutgers And Resolv'd That I Should Be A Man (Or A Woman, or Undecided) And So I Settled Down In That Noisy College Town On The Banks Of The Old Raritan (Or I Decided To Commute Or Live Off-Campus)

Sounds Awesome, Right?


      Just what I want to sing every time I come back to my Alma Mater for an event ... Or every time I just feel like singing it to show my pride in my Alma Mater. 
     Don't get me wrong. I understand the importance of inclusion but OUR Alma Mater has been in existence for the past 138 years ... Doesn't tradition mean anything anymore? Haven't we had enough of our traditions swept away just in the past five years? I mean I started here six years ago and I've seen colleges dissembled, college-specific traditions forgotten, and hell, I'll say it Rutgersfest (a tradition for the past 30 years - previously called Deinerfest) cancelled - not that that is an important part of our historical tradition but still. 
    Now, administration wants to change out Alma Mater too! This is too much. Stand up (or sit down, I guess), take this survey, and tell the administration that even though as a school, we are aware of our differences and we accept them, love them, and hold them dear ... We also would like to keep some of the traditions that make our school special and hold them close to us also.

     Click here to take the survey ... Tell the administration how YOU feel.

In a quaint old Jersey town that I've learned to call my own stands a college that has long been known to fame; Where the hardy ivy clings to the walls to the ancient stone EVER CHANGING YET ETERNALLY THE SAME! Alma Mater, Alma Mater, plucky college by the gentle Raritan. You're the apple of my eye, brightest star in all the sky, Rutgers College by the gentle Raritan. (In A Quaint Old Jersey Town - Rutgers Glee Club)



PS. To hear all the traditional Rutgers songs, click here. And to purchase the Glee Club's CD The Bells Must Ring!, click here and use the paper mail-in order form. Everyone should have these songs on their iPod, or whatever other newfangled device they use to listen to music ... Because who knows when all these songs will be gone due to changes in the administration.

No comments:

Post a Comment