Sunday, April 17, 2011

Move, Move, Shake, Shake, ... Now Get Out Of New Brunswick

Sooooo ... Rutgersfest 2011! Throw yo' hands up (if you survived!).

     I have attended, and lived to talk about, 6 Rutgersfests ... and anyone who was in the vicinity of New Brunswick yesterday into early this morning can tell you that New Brunswick done gone lost it's mind yesterday!!!! I woke up to this ... 

Crime ALERT!
  
     After receiving the same thing in text form where they added, "Shooter at large. Avoid College Ave." (or something to that effect). Then received another later in the day saying that another two shootings occurred ... Great publicity for Rutgers, right? And they probably weren't even Rutgers students. God Bless the person who handles Rutgers PR ... because they had their hands full this year.
     Rutgersfest in the past has had its problems ... But, really, it's generally been pretty calm and relaxed. You had your drunks and ho-hos ... You had your occasional fight break out ... But nothing like the what I saw yesterday. In the past, it was all fun and games ... Like this guy, he seems like fun. 


     But yesterday, we had this ... I apologize, in advance, for the use of language in all these videos.

     And this ...


     OH, and I'm sure the whole country has seen this mess ...


      And I can bet that My-Little-Pony-Hair and Ms. Crayola don't even go to Rutgers ... and that was the major issue yesterday ... Well one of them. Here is the list of reasons why Rutgerfest 2011 turned into ApeShit 2011.

Top Five Why Rutgersfest 2011 Went Insane ...

5) Blame it on the a-a-a-a-alcohollll ... Yep. Rutgerfest means drinking. And, even though it happens every year, and it goes by generally in a smooth, no shots-in-the-ass fashion ... We can probably say that a couple of the fights that broke out were alcohol induced. Just a guess. So, in the future, know yo' limits! I mean didn't this campaign teach you anything?

Rutgersfest Responsible Drinking Campaign, Photo c/o http://www.facebook.com/rufest.responsible.drinking

4) Too many underage kids (and by that I mean high schoolers) ... Rutgerfest should be just that ... A festival of Rutgers students and its alumni. Not a bunch of teeny-boppers and their boyfriends trying to get into parties, not knowing where they're going, throwing up on the side of the road, and taking up space. Not only does it make me feel older (I literally, LITERALLY, ran into a kid I substitute for), but it also makes me uncomfortable. While I was waiting the hour-and-a-half to get a bus back to College Ave., a kid asked me where a bus was going so I asked where his friends and him were trying to get ... His answer was "Where all the parties are at" ... I just made a snide comment and walked away at that point. Sixteen year olds do not need to be trying, and possibly achieving, to get into parties with twenty-two year olds. Sooo ... Next year, do us a favor and stay home and do your homework.

3) Too many out-of-towners ... Yes, I know Pitbull is your fave rapper ... and you want to hear 3oH3! sing "StarStrukk" just one more time ... So do me a favor, stay home ... go on your computer ... and buy a ticket to their next show because Rutgers really doesn't need their population tripling in size because every person within a hundred mile radius decides to flood to our school (that happens every September with enrollment anyway). Easton Ave's traffic looked like Pakistan's traffic last night. Throw in a couple of camels and a few rickshaws and you'd be golden. 

Pakistan Trip, 2006-2007 (Camel on the highway)

2) Spring Fever ... The weather has people out their mind ... At least it has me going nuts. One day it's 90 degrees, the next it's 30 degrees. Yesterday it was a solid 50 all day long, plus it was windy, and girls were half-dressed and that just made them mad. And everyone else was just thinking about how they wish Spring would get here and stay. Help us out Mother Nature. Give us a break. Seriously.

1) Plain 'ole stupidity ... People just went and left their thinking caps at home. I don't know what happened ... Even I had some issues. Over porta-potties, no less. You don't know how serious that is. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW. A chick will kick your ass when she has to pee. The first girl who cut the line, I reported to the officer nearby. The next one who did, I just pushed her out of the way so she wanted to fight ... but I just walked into the stall and peed. When I came out and she started screaming in my face and stuff and throwing her hands in my face ... But I was smart enough to walk away from the fight, people. Think about doing that next time ... so no one ends up with a bullet in the butt.

     So, there you go ... My top 5 reasons why Rutgersfest 2011 went Ape Shit. Hopefully next year, Rutgers continues the tradition and does not take this year as a reason to end what has been a Rutgers staple for years. Despite all the craziness, I am happy I went because I still had a good time ... even if this might be my last Rutgersfest because I think I said "I'm too old for this" one too many times yesterday.

My Girlies with Drum Dude, Drum Dude's Friend, and Jibbz

But all I wanna know is where the party at. But all I wanna know is where the party at. Let's have a party. Let's have a party. But all I wanna know is where the party at. Everybody, let's have a party. But all I wanna know is where the party at ...  (Let's Have A Party - Backstreet Boys)

3 comments:

  1. omg Rutgersfest was CRAZY. thanks for the videos nazz, I totally missed all of that on Friday because I was tucked away at my friends house...not remembering anything. Here's to Rutgersfest going back to Rutgers students in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I read this yesterday and didn't get a chance to comment. My comment: WTF?!?!?!?!

    My brother, who lives in NB, said the streets looked like the rioting streets of Egypt. Cars were going down lanes the wrong way, cops were too busy dealing with bottles and bullets rather than the drunk drivers. I am so sad for Rutgers, this is not the place I remember it being. However, I did see a girl get hit by a car (a big ass Buick no less) at my first Rutgersfest -- I later helped her up and then told her to run far, far away -- it wasn't THIS bad. Bullets in the butt are a perfect reason for me not to party in Brunswick anymore. And I thought living in the 'hood (Brooklyn) was dangerous...

    Thanks for the laughs, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that picture of ur girlies!!!

    -Jennilyn

    ReplyDelete