Saturday, March 5, 2011

... Somewhere Out There Is A Lady Who I Think Will Never Be A Nun ... And I'm One Of Them.

46 years ago this week, Fox Home Video released a movie which changed generations of movie lovers ...


I remember being a little girl, not only amazed at the fact that the movie was SOOO long that it needed to be recorded on 2 VHS's, but also amazed at the beautiful opening scene that caught my eyes and ears every time I saw it.

I would say the first time I remember watching The Sound of Music, I was probably four or five, and I fell in love with it. The songs and the story captivate from the moment the bells ring to the moment the Von Trapps begin their long journey over the hills. As I got older, the love stories began to captivate me ... and they still do. You have the story of Leisl and Rolfe. I remember needing a box of tissues all through middle school every time Leisl would ask Maria, "What happens when a person stops loving you?" and Motherly Maria says, "Oh, you cry a little and then you wait for the sun to come out. It always does."

And then there are two lines which I will never forget ... One spoken by Kurt who tells (I believe Maria) "Only grown-up men are scared of women!" ... And I am not sure if a truer line has ever been spoken in a film. And another which is spoken by the Baroness to Maria when she says, "There's nothing more irresistible to a man than a woman who's in love with him" ::sigh:: which leads to this unforgettable moment. I do believe that this is one of the best love stories ever ... and I know people will fight this but I don't care.

This film makes me laugh and cry. It gives me hope and confidence ... and it just makes me smile. I wish I could post some video from the movie here but they are far and few between on youtube so I will leave you with this ... It is a video of Carrie Underwood performing the "Sound of Music" from 2007 "Movie Rocks" which focuses on music's role in shaping the film industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment