Monday, March 7, 2011

Have I Ever??? Why Yes, Brandy. Yes, I Have.

Do you ever have your iTunes on shuffle and all of a sudden a song from your past comes on and then a flood of memories just invades your entire self, from head to toe? Well, that JUST happened to me when this song played.


I remember being eleven years old and in the sixth grade, sitting behind a blue-eyed, blond haired boy, who had an uncanny resemblance to Nick Carter (at least in my foggy 24-year-old memory) and drawing hearts around his name just dreaming about the day I would become Mrs. Richards*. I would stare at the back of his head and just hope he would turn around just once and talk to me ... nicely ... instead of throwing insults at me like he generally did.

Of course, Brandy had to go and release this song the same month I entered the sixth grade and fell head over heels for this Nick Carter look-a-like so I spent days in my room playing it on repeat, sobbing broken-hearted-eleven-year-old-girl tears into my pillow. Now it just seems silly but back in the day, this song tugged at my little heartstrings like no other song could. Brandy spoke to me with her words. It spelled out every emotion my eleven-year-old self KNEW was going on. I knew I was in love with him. I knew if I could just tell him in the right words, he'd stop being a mean little jerk and he'd fall madly in love with me and we'd get married and live happily ever after.

Oh, well. That never happened. He moved away in the seventh or eighth grade. And, because social media allows us to be total creeps, I just Facebooked him and I am pretty sure I found the right guy judging from context clues (yeah, I know I seem like a total creep), and I must to say, he seems like a loser (who no longer looks like Nick Carter).


* name has been changed to protect the Jerk

No comments:

Post a Comment