Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Michelle O-That-Lady-Between-Nick-Jonas-And-Brenda-Song

I was sitting in my living room folding some laundry a few days ago, enjoying an episode of "The Suite Life" ... because, I mean, who can resist these faces ...


Oh wait, that was back in their "Big Daddy" days. But still, they're still pretty adorable. Anyway, I was sitting there, watching the show when a few commercials started up and this Disney-sponsored Public Service Announcement played:



Now I have no problem with getting kids off the couch and getting them active. Heck, I probably should be taking the advice, seeing as I haven't been to my Zumba class in weeks ... But I do have a bone to pick with Disney, with our Education system, with our kids, with the people who produced the PSA, with a slew of people ...

I'm not going to lie. When I saw the PSA, I recognized Nick Jonas by face and by name; I recognized Brenda Song by face and by name. But I also recognized MICHELLE OBAMA, the FIRST FRICKIN' LADY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA BY FACE AND BY NAME - WITHOUT HER HAVING TO HAVE A TAGLINE UNDER HER FACE.

I understand that Disney is a "Kids" network and that I am a 24-year-old woman in graduate school watching the Disney channel. But I think there is something wrong with our education system if America's children can recognize 8 celebrities (who were the random people chillin' in the back anyway?) yet they cannot recognize the first lady of the US without a tagline and a mention of the White House.

On top of that, who's to say these kids can't recognize her without that? Shame on Disney for assuming America's children need that tagling there in order for them to make the connection. Not all of them are just sitting around living the sweet life ... Some of them have been hitting the books and getting their learning on.

No comments:

Post a Comment