Friday, March 4, 2011

Defriend Day? ... I'm Cool With That.

According to author Mark Dice, today, March 4, is Defriend Day on Facebook ... And I'm down with that.

I currently have 717 friends on facebook ... My goal is to get that down to 680 by tomorrow (that's a deletion of 37 friends for those of you with limited math skills like myself ... Yep, I originally wrote 27 until I counted by tens on my fingers). That doesn't seem like a lot but if you know my obsession with Facebook, that is a HUGE number for me.

According to Dice, Facebook is an "Orwellian Nightmare Come True" ... Big Brother watching your every move ... And when you begin to look at the facts surrounding it, he's right.

I mean, first off, just consider your own uses for Facebook. You say you use it to "keep in touch" with old friends. OK. Let's be real, here. We all know what you're really using it for ...


You want to find your old friends and stalk them. On our good days, we want to know who got into graduate school and which high school couples are still together. On our bad days, we want to know who gained 60 pounds since high school, and who had a baby at nineteen. Stalking might be interesting ... But, in the end, it's kind of creepy that I know when the kid who sat at lunch table B from my seventh grade class of 300 students checked into Denny's for breakfast. I don't need to be Facebook friends with him ... I'm just tracking his increasing crack addiction.

Next, at this point, we should all know that employers are checking our Facebooks to see if we are going to be valuable assets to their companies. Now, not that I agree with this. I don't think that what I use my free time doing should be any indication of my work ethic ... But it's true. And, don't be fooled ... Just because you set your profile to "private" and "block" your information, that means nothing. There are ways around that stuff ... and employers can figure it out ... THEY HIRE PEOPLE FOR THAT PARTICULAR REASON!


Lastly, there have also been crazy amounts of break-ins and other crimes committed, that have been linked back to Facebook. This is especially prevalent when you post your "away from home" statuses on Facebook ... "Roomies and I will be spending the weekend in Seaside" (Oh, by the way ... To my 967 friends, 234 who I don't know, feel free to come ransack our place and steal all our stuff! It's cool, we don't mind!) ... If you really want people to know about your AWESOME vacation, put it in your status when you come BACK! Don't give people an open invite to break into your place. Ladies (and gents), if you drink, do not post in your status that you are ALONE in your place three sheets to the wind ... RAPIST alert! ... HELLO. People are getting sexually assaulted in their dorms now (that was back in '08 but another one happened this year ... I just couldn't find the article). 

These are just a few reasons to limit the people you give access to your information to online ... There are hundreds of others. But join in with me, and participate in Defriend Day and see how many of those random people and jerks you can get rid of!


No comments:

Post a Comment