Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Daily Dose of Allegiance Does One Good

     So, it's been awhile. I'm generally not this non-bloggy but work and grad school kind of own my life ... But when I have something to say, I have to say it ... and if you've been following me for a while, you know there are two things that I am very violently vocal about (HELLO ALLITERATION!) ... One being women in the media and its effect on their body image and the other being shit that pisses me off.
     So, here goes one about something that pissed me the heck off ... If it sounds similar, it might be because almost a year ago, I wrote a blog entry on a very similar topic.
     If you are a  frequent reader of my blog, you know that I substitute teach in my (very) spare time for some pocket change and to cover the bills, bills, bills ... and lately I have been noticing an alarming trend in a growing number of school districts that is PISSING ME OFF.
     Back in the day when I was in school, we'd get off the bus, go in, put all our stuff away, go to homeroom or whatever ... and the first thing we'd generally do after attendance was the Pledge of Allegiance.


     Nowadays, I barely go to any schools that do the Pledge every morning. Honestly, it would not surprise me if in some districts, there were students who did not know the Pledge, which doesn't piss me off ... it saddens me, because, you know what ... that's not the fault of the children, it's the fault of the districts. 
     Whether they are doing it to not offend because they have foreign students or because they are scared of saying "God" in school ... It is completely unacceptable. 
     We are a country of immigrants and I am completely aware of that (and proud of our diversity) ... and, yes, I know there are some things that we need to be sensitive of - I get that too. 
     I understand that some children may not want to say the Pledge because they are not American and they have their own countries that they pledge their allegiance to, and you know what ... I'm fine with that too. But, there is nothing wrong with still having it said every day and teaching children that they should stand and honor the country they live in, and presumably, their parents (or guardians) work and make a living in.
     Yes, I am proud of my Italian heritage and, yes, I am proud of my Pakistani heritage, but when it comes down to it, when people ask me what I am ... After I give them a snide look and say "Human? How about you?" ... I always say American. 
     I am an American Italian. I am an American Pakistani. I was born and raised in this country, and despite the fact that there will always be policies and issues that I may not agree with from time to time, I am proud to be here and proud to live here ... and proud to pledge my allegiance to it.
     And, I think that school districts need to remember that they have a part in instilling those values in the future leaders of our country.



     I think my rant is over. But, seriously, if you are a parent ... Ask your child if they do the Pledge in school. Or at the least, make sure they know the Pledge, and be sure that they know to stand when it is said. It's a matter of respect, people!

He’s got the red, white, blue flyin’ high on the farm. Semper fi tattooed on his left arm. Spend a little more in the store for a tag in the back that says USA. He won’t buy nothin’ that he can’t fix with WD-40 and a Craftsman wrench. He ain’t prejudice, he’s just Made in America. He loves his wife ... She’s Golden Rule, teaches school, some folks say it isn’t cool, but she says the Pledge of Allegiance any way. (Made in America, Toby Keith)


(Sidenote: As I wrote that ... I heard the Star Bangled Banner playing from the television outside my door ... I guess my brother is watching some sporting event right now ... and on that note, I must commend some districts on their policies of both doing the pledge and playing the national anthem every morning.)

1 comment:

  1. JG: "American Culture" - lately I've been inclined towards the idea that we're perhaps too free to show off our cultures rather than embrace what America is (a combination of many cultures, yet I don't think we should be prevented from doing so either). What's your opinion of an American Culture? It hurts to see things like the pledge banished and I would think that some wouldn't even want the flag itself to be kept around either.

    ReplyDelete