Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Wisdom of a Seven-Year-Old ...

Sometimes I wonder what the world would be like if we all had the innocence of children. Think about it for a minute ...

I know what you're thinking. I mean sure, we'd need to live without those PG-13 and R rated movies. And those popular rap songs? ... You could kiss them good-bye.

But, on the flip side, don't you think we'd all just get along?

Yesterday my mother went to one of my Uncle's places in Brooklyn.  My little cousins were visiting also and weren't very familiar with the area. The area that my Uncle lives in is an area with a large population of Hasidic Jews. It was a little earlier in the day and people must have been out and about when my cousins first got there, and the younger one, who is seven, must have just been people watching and taking mental notes (and pictures) the whole time. When my mom got upstairs to my Uncle's place and after she did the customary hi, hellos, she went to see my little cousins and the seven-year-old blurts out to my mother ...

"There are a whole lotta people here who look like Abraham Lincoln!"




Clearly he has not learned the major religions yet or how you can differentiate between people by their religious garb, in some cases ... He misinterpreted some fundamental aspects of Judaism ... But couldn't that innocence be a good thing? Him not knowing those differentiations ... Isn't that him not knowing the seeds of hatred? How many wars have been started over Religion? How much blood has been shed in the name of God?

Yes. Some days it would be better if we were all as innocent as children. Imagine it.


No comments:

Post a Comment